How can I stop my HP laptop from installing updates everytime i turn it on?

Q. It started about 2 months ago, and we've tried a system restore but it says we have to do a 'check disk' operation, which won't complete. When we turn it on, it goes to a blue startup screen that says 'installing updates' and usually its just 1 of 1, but sometimes its more. Then it shuts itself down. Help!

A. If you're on Vista, open your start menu. Click "control panel". Click "Security". Click "Turn automatic updating on or off". And change it so that "Never check for updates" is selected.

If you're on XP, the process is similar. It's going to be around the same location, just look around.

Although, this is not generally recommended. It could leave your computer vulnerable in the future.

How do I get my HP Laptop to get past the start up screen?
Q. Here's the problem: When I turn my laptop on, the HP invent start up screen comes up. On the bottom of the screen it says to press ESC to change boot order and press F2 to enter setup, F12 to boot from LAN. It won't go past this screen. When I push ESC, F2, or F12 it does nothing... It stays on the start up screen. I've asked a friend or two and they think that the hard drive may be fried. What do you think?
Here's some more info: My Laptop is a HP Pavilion ze4400. I can't get past the very first boot screen. I've tried removing the memory and putting back in and it doesn't help.

A. Well its either the board or hard drive. But hard drives dont necessarily will freeze after the boot screen. Motherboards will. To verify if the hard drive is bad is to undo the harddrive caddy and remove it then boot the PC. It will boot up and then say hard disk 0 not found then it will mean the motherboard works but the hard drive was bad. BUT only try that if its NOT UNDER WARRANTY. If you still have a warranty let HP to all the grunt work and troubleshooting.

Sounds to me the board is bad.

How do I know if a HP laptop harddrive would work on other brands of laptop?
Q. My HP Pavilion laptop recently bit it. I would like to use the harddrive from it and, if possible, install it on a used laptop. But I want to make sure that it is compatible with a particular kind or brand of laptop.

A. HP laptops use generic PATA or SATA hard drives.
They are not proprietary.

Please add details to your question with the model #'s of both laptops & we will give you a definitive answer.

regards,
Philip T




Powered by Yahoo! Answers


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.